Furinji Saiga’s Primal Strength Workout
Furinji Saiga’s Primal Strength Workout
-Primal Strength (Using various weights of logs and stones. As reps increase, weights should decrease.)
- 10 Deadlifts
- 10 Cleans
- 20 Shoulders
- 20 Squats
- 30 Clean and Press
- 30 Thrusters
- 40 Push Press
- 40 Overhead Press
- 50 Slams
- 50 Biceps Curls/Chest Raises
- Tree Striking/Rending- 15 Minutes
- Sled Push/Pull- 5 x 100 Meters
- Sprints (pick 2): 100 Meter Forward, 100 Meter Backward, 1 Set of 90 Degree Sprints, 40 Yard Suicide x 5 Sets of each chosen
- Once again, martial arts can be a variety of different things: techniques, sparring, forms, or a class for example.
- Covered Deadlifts in the Primal Movement workout.
- Cleans are performed similarly to a deadlift, but as the weight comes across the top of your thighs, you use pop your hips forward, shrug slightly, and jump slightly. You will then pull the bar up in a straight line up your body before diving/squatting underneath it, your arms rotating around the bar until it rests on your front delts, your elbows pointed out, and with you in the bottom of the squat position. Stand up to complete the movement. You may drop the bar/log in between reps. If you are using a log, you may have to have a very close, alternating grip and then release the top hand so that both arms catch the log as it comes up. For all squats and cleans, your goal is to have your butt get as low as possible. We’re building functional strength and that means full range of motion.
- Shouldering is pick the log or rock up from the ground and placing it on your shoulder. It should still be a relatively heavy weight, so you shouldn’t be able to just pick it up in your hands and put it on your shoulder. You should have to hug it close to you.
- For the squats, you can do front squats, which would have the weight up on your arms and front delts or back squats, where the weight is sitting across your shoulders. You may have to clean the weight to get it into position, so it’s not going to be a very heavy weight, especially since you’re looking to do 20 reps with it. If you have to set it down in between reps, that’s fine. The idea here is to build strength, so eventually, a heavy thing won’t feel so heavy and you’ll need to find something heavier to manipulate.
- A clean and press is starts of the same as a clean, but at the top of the movement, you press the weight overhead.
- Thrusters start in a front squat position. You then squat down and, as you come up out of the bottom, you use the momentum of the squat to help you press the weight overhead.
- A push press starts with you holding the weight on your chess, you bend your knees and hips a little bit and forcefully explode upward, using the momentum to press the weight overhead. Make sure that your head comes forward ahead of your arms on each rep.
- An overhead press is similar to a push press, except that you are using pure strength to push the weight instead of momentum. Remember to keep your elbows tucked in slightly to ease the tension on your shoulders.
- For the slams, you will pick a rock up over your head and throw it forcefully to the ground. Pick it up and repeat. Be careful not to crush your toes.
- For biceps curls, you can use two small rocks, one big rock, or a small log. At the start of the movement, you will be standing with your arms extended, elbows at your side, weight or weights in your hands. You will then bend at the elbows until your arms are fully flexed, but your elbows will not move from your side at any time during the movement. If you are holding one weight in each arm, make sure you do 50 reps on each side.
- Tree striking/rending means hitting trees with any strikes the you like or grabbing them and trying to manipulate them. Your goal is to try to break branches (small at first) with strikes and by grabbing and trying to twist or snap them. In the anime, we see the elder pruning his trees with just two fingers. This is a ridiculous example of what I’m talking about.
- You can push or pull a specially made weight sled or a tire or even a car if you want. The idea is you want to push or pull something very heavy for an extended period of time. Rest two minutes in between each 100 meter push/pull.
- 90 Degree Sprints are like running a baseball diamond. One set is each direction
- A 40 Yard Suicide will require you to place markers at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards. You will sprint to the 10 yard line and back to start, then immediately go to the 20 yard line and back to start, then the 30 yard line and back to start, then to the 40 yard line and back to start. That’s one suicide.
- If you end up having the energy to do the whole workout again, it includes the martial arts section.