The East Rookie Champ Workout
This workout will focus on the semi-finals and finals of the East Japan Rookie Championship. Ippo duels against two lightning quick opponents: Hayami, user of the “Shotgun” and Mashiba, user of the “Flicker Jab.” In order to be able to deal as much damage as possible while simultaneously avoiding damage, Ippo worked on developing his evasion and dashing speed in order to get on the inside of his opponent and dish out his power punches. The workout bears some similarities to previous Ippo workouts, but that is only because they are all boxing workouts.
East Rookie Champ Workout
- 3 Mile Run, 7 Sprints Throughout (Shadowbox 15 seconds at the 1, 2 and 3 mile marks)
4-6 Hours Later
Train With Our Free Boot Camp!
Don't be intimidated by the complexities of training!
Join our boot camp mini-course to get started in the right direction!
- 20 Push-ups
- 20 Sit-ups
- 20 Squats
4 Rounds, then
- 3 Minutes Neck Bridging
- 3 Minutes Headstand Work
- 3 Minutes Jump Rope
- 3 Minutes Mitt Work
- 3 Minutes Shadowboxing
- 3 Minutes Dodging/Blocking
- 3 Minutes Heavy Bagwork
- 3 Minutes Rope Drill
Then, choose one:
-4 x 3 Minutes Sparring (Hayami)
-Sprint Complex: (Mashiba)
- 5 x 40 Yard Suicide Runs
- 3 x 50 Yard Sprints
- Hill Sprint to Failure
- 3 x 40 Yard Suicides
- The Dodging/Blocking imitates Coach Kamogawa throwing rocks at Ippo. You can use Bouncy Balls or Tennis Balls, for safety’s sake. Your goal here, is to evade with upper or lower body movement, block with your guard, or snatch the balls out of the air. It’s best if you use some combination of the four. Bouncy Balls are best, because they are smaller and can be thrown for a “shotgun” effect. Use 10-20 balls.
- Suicide Runs are the DEVIL. Now, that being said, here is what they are. You’ll have 40 yards marked out in 10 yard increments. You’ll sprint to the 10 yard line, back to start. Then, sprint to the 20 yard line, back to start. Then to the 30 and back. Then to the 40 and back. That is 1 (count it- ONE) suicide. You may choose to rest for a time period of 1 minute in between suicides or until your breathing returns to almost normal.
- A note on sparring: WEAR GEAR! Headgear, mouthpiece, gloves, and a cup. If you are doing kickboxing, put shin guards on as well. If you don’t use gear, you won’t be able to spar as hard.
- Needless to say, there is a LOT of sprinting in this workout. Please don’t overdo it. If you feel overtired, please back off or stop. Just because this is one of our workouts, doesn’t mean you have to do it the first time… or second (or tenth). It’s all about getting there.
- The rope drill is ducking under the rope and throwing punches while moving forward and backward.
- Added neck work drills to this one, too.
In any case, have fun with this one. Until next time, good luck and train hard!