The Flexibility and Mobility of a Rubber Man
You can't really exaggerate how stretchy Monkey D. Luffy is. All it took was little Luffy eating one of his grandfather's treasures. And ever since then, Captain Straw Hat has been showing off just how stretchy a rubber man can be.
This workout won't give you the powers of a rubber man, but over time, it will make you more flexible. And it will improve your mobility.
Watch the video and then use the list below to quickly see what you need to do next!
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Intermediate
EQUIPMENT NEEDED: One foam roller, one wooden dowel.
First, you will need to take a foam roller and use it on the following...
- Length of Spine/Top of Spine- 30 seconds
- Glutes- 30 Seconds
- Hip Abductors- 30 Seconds Each Side
- Hamstrings- 30 Seconds Each Side
- Quads- 30 Seconds Each Side
- Calves- 30 Seconds Each Side
- Outside of Lower Leg- 30 Seconds Each Side
- Chest- 30 Seconds
- Lateral Delts- 30 Seconds Each Side
- Upper Spine/Shoulders- 30 Seconds
The following stretches are done without any equipment, and should be performed for 1-2 minutes each.
- Anterior Hip Stretch
- Posterior Capsule Stretch
- External Rotation Hip Stretch
- Squat Stretch- Squat down, driving your knees out, sitting as low as you can.
- Straight-Leg Kicking- Put one leg back, keeping it straight. Swing that leg up in front of you as high as you can, but don’t hurt yourself. Ease yourself into the movement.
- Side-to-side Leg Swinging- Brace yourself against something, with one leg forward and one leg back. With the forward leg, swing the leg to the left and right of your body, allowing it to open up your hip.
- Seated Turn Stretch- With one leg extended, place the opposite foot on the outside of the knee of the extended leg. Then place your opposite elbow against that knee, brace your other hand against the ground, and turn as far as you can.
These Range of Motion Exercises should all be done in succession. Numbers 1 and 6 require the wooden dowel.
- 10 Pass-Throughs
- 10 Squats w/3 Second Pause at the Bottom
- 10 Wall Walks
- 10 Reverse Push-ups
- 10 Hindu Push-ups
- 10 Dowel Twists
- 10 Front-to-Back Arm Swings
- If you are really looking to increase your flexibility and mobility, start this workout with the Real Anime Training Warm-up and end it with the Real Anime Training Stretching Routine.
- Pass-Throughs are when you hold a wooden dowel or PVC pipe in your hands, with a wide grip, and reach overhead and then behind you as far as you can. As you get more mobile, you can move your hands in closer on the stick or pipe.
- Make sure that when you squat, that your are keeping tension in your abdominals and driving your knees out to the side. This should help you get deeper in the squat and you should feel a stretch in your groin.
- Dowel Twists bring back the dowel from the pass-throughs. You’ll hold it on your back, like you would for a back squat and then twist at the waist in both directions. If you need to, make sure that you twist easily at first.